The toxins from the hair styling products that we use daily can clog roots and cause dead skin cells build-up, leading to dull, damaged, greasy hair and slower hair growth. So, instead of focusing on the split ends, you should start the hair repairing from the beginning- the hair follicles/roots. Having a healthy scalp can promote the growth of some new, healthy, beautiful strands. Therefore, a scalp detox is a treatment you should consider doing.
For a simple DIY scalp detox treatment you will need: coconut oil, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply the mask on your scalp.
- Massage gently with your fingers in a circular motion.
- Don’t scratch! You don’t want to damage the scalp with your fingernails.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse off using your regular shampoo.
- The longer your hair is, the harder you’ll get the cinnamon and baking soda out of it. Make sure you rinse off a couple of times so there are no leftovers all over your hair.
This scalp detox mixture will:
- Remove dead skin cells
- Stimulate and speed up hair growth
- Fight off dandruff
- Prevent hair loss
- Remove bacteria
- Stimulate blood circulation
Overtreating can only lead to damage, so make sure you don’t do this treatment too often. Once a month is enough to get some nice results!
I try to keep up and have this scalp detox mask once a month. However, I do admit that it’s a bit time consuming and I’m struggling to wash out all the ingredients from my hair, cause it’s so long. The bright side: my hair feels reborn and smells so good!
*Please do not use this treatment if you’re allergic to any of these ingredients.
If you’re into DIY hair treatments, check out these other ones I use: Protein hair treatment
What’s your favorite homemade hair treatment? Would you give this one a try? Let me know in the comments below!
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I get a few cents for every purchase through these links. It won’t cost you anything extra but you will get to support my blog! 🙂